Video of the Week: 8 Basic DIY Cleaning Ingredients
In need of a cleaning closet cleanse? Check out this short video for some sweet ideas from National Geographic’s Green Guide on how to put your home into environmental rehab—and swap conventional cleaners for 8 basic DIY cleaning products. According to the Green Guide, conventional cleaners can be some of the most toxic things in your home.
On the DIY cleaner hot list?
• Baking Soda: delivers grit for scrubbing
• Borax: disinfects, bleaches, and deodorizes
• Distilled White Vinegar: disinfects and breaks up dirt
• Hydrogen Peroxide: disinfects and bleaches
• Lemons: cuts grease
• Olive Oil: picks up dirt and polishes wood
• Vegetable-Based Liquid Castille Soap: general, all-purpose cleaner
• Washing Soda: stain remover and general cleaner: stain remover and general cleaner
The Green Guide offers a wealth of do-it-yourself natural home cleaners. One recipe outlined in this video is an all-purpose everyday glass cleaner:
1 Tablespoon lemon Juice or 1/4 cup vinegar
2 cups water
Combine ingredients in a spray bottle and spray onto glass surfaces for a clean and green experience.
For more ideas and recipes, check out the Green Guide video below.