2012 Green Cleaning Awards
Created in conjunction with the Green Cleaning Network and Healthy Schools Campaign, American School & University‘s Green Cleaning Award recognizes education institutions for their healthy and sustainable approaches to cleaning to protect health without harming the environment.
According to asumag.com, this year’s competition brought innovation and green expertise to the forefront, and the winners are an example for schools everywhere—large and small. In this awards program, an expert jury of green-cleaning professionals chose eight education institutions whose green cleaning programs went above and beyond just using green products to protect health without harming the environment.
Judging criteria were based on the comprehensiveness and quality of the program, and how well each education institution followed the steps as outlined in the second edition of The Quick & Easy Guide to Green Cleaning in Schools. The criteria used, as detailed in the guide, include:
• Use green equipment and supplies.
• Adopt green-cleaning procedures.
• Use green paper and plastic products.
2012 K-12/School Districts Winners
- Grand Award: Howard County (Md) Public Schools
- Silver Award: Portland (Ore.) Public Schools
- Honorable Mentions: Catoosa County Schools, Ringgold, Ga., and Lower Merion (Pa.) Public Schools
2012 Higher Education Winners
- Grand Award: Temple University (Phila.) Health Sciences Center
- Best New Program Award: Spelman College (Atlanta)
- Honorable Mentions: University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) and University of Texas (Austin).
For info: asumag.com/green_cleaning_award/